Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

My engine management light and stop light came on yesterday

Customer Question

Hi my engine management light and stop light came on yesterday the car stopped and after a minute or 2 it started again and drives fine what could be the problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Renault. The Renault Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the engine management light and stop light came on yesterday the car stopped and after a minute or two it started again and drives fine but the lights are still on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Renault Mechanic should know about your Renault?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 5 months ago.
Hi .There are so many things that could cause this issue and the only way to really find out is to have your car hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool .your local dealer or repair shop will have the equipment to check for malfunction codes for you.I see you would maybe like to check and repair this yourself ,Okay first you will need to buy a code reader or a better scan tool . With the scan tool you can gather generic codes , these codes are what are stored in the management system each time a malfunction is noticed as the management system is always checking controlling the system , so when it sees something out of line it will trip a code , from this code you will be able to read with the code reader .this code will be your issue why the check engine and STOP light came on. CODE there are hundreds of codes so after decoding the code it will let you know what sensor has malfunctioned for example code P0340 will be a crankshaft sensor all codes will start with a "P" "B" "C" or "U" then four digits after the letter .After getting the malfunction code and you need help with this we are here to help with this also .Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed. Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.