sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have an automatic 1999 Ford Galaxy that is stuck in park,

Customer Question

I have an automatic 1999 Ford Galaxy that is stuck in park, it still makes a clicking sound when I put my foot on the break but the gear stick is stuck solid in park
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is stuck in park so I can't drive anywhere
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes ideally
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried turning the key just slightly to release the gear stick but that has not worked
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Do you know how to override the gear stick shift
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The problem may be with the shifter itself, it could be an ignition interlock issue, the shift cable, or possibly an issue in the trans preventing the shifter from moving.With the vehicle roper supported or emergency brake set and wheels chocked, engine off, can you remove the shift linkage at the transmission and see if you're able to shift the trans by hand?Were you having any problems with the shifter leading up to this?