Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

E46: 2738 fault code ,n42b18? bank1 adaptation in 800 rpm

Customer Question

2738 fault code ,n42b18?
bank1 adaptation in 800 rpm is 117.9 o/ kW
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello that code is pointing to a faulty exhaust cataylstso I'd 1st check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers if this is OK then I'd suggest to try a bottle of this as I've had several good results with it and its a lot cheaper than a new cataylst