Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified

I have a 2006 XJ 2.7TDVI with 94K on the clock which has

Customer Question

I have a 2006 XJ 2.7TDVI with 94K on the clock which has recently developed an annoying squeak from the nearside rear suspension. In the last week this has become loud squeaking from both the front and rear nearside suspension. My experienced mechanic has checked it over and can't find which "bushes" are causing the squeaking. I should add that I do not have any warning lights or suspension malfunctions. Neither do I have any unequal levels. Therefore, the problem has to be mechanical but where?P B J Ladbrook
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Do you hear this noise during normal driving or over bumps/dips? Do you hear the noise when changing lanes or other steering maneuvers?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, with normal driving now. Previously it was just over bumps. You hear it when you turn but only on an incline.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The car maintains its' normal levels under the air suspension system
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When do I get an answer to my original question?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Ok sounds like the sqeak is most likely coming from the lower air shock mounting bushing. We can inspect it to see if there is any signs of wear or possibly marking indicating it is binding. I have also seen some failures with the control arm bushings causing this. We really would need to place the vehicle on a drive on rack and jounce the suspension to see if we can hear the noise but these parts should be inspected and they are the most likely cause.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Is it easy to distinguish the control arm bush from the others? I will now talk to my mechanic to progress matters.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Yes it should be.