Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a Renault Laguna 2 2002 6 cyl 3.0 with the ESP

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Renault Laguna 2 2002 6 cyl 3.0 with the ESP warning light constant on, even standing still. A mechanic says that the fault code means that the steering wheel angle sensor has to be replaced. I was wondering if a Megane steering wheel angle sensor fits. I also wonder if the sensor will be lined up automatically if I just refit in straight position..
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. I dont show if this other models sensor will fit yours as well here.One way to find this out for sure is to contact a dealers parts department with your vehicles VIN information and they can usually look this up to tell you for sure if it will fit and which vehicles it will fit from.On most of these replacing this sensor only installs one way and after the replacement is done usually a dealer or repair facility has to zero out or normalize the sensor in order for it to work properly and to then clear out the codes to turn off the ESP light itself.It is best to just install the correct sensor part number for your model to correct this here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. My ODB-reader cannot give me the code DF075 as the workshop code did. I wonder what ODB-reader which can show the angle, does "Clip" (software) say you anything - probably french..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I dont know for sure which scan tool would work best for this to read the angle and do any calibration of the new sensor itself.Usually this is a high end scan tool that can be expensive to purchase in most cases.It is usually cheaper to have a dealer or repair facility calibrate it after it is replaced then it would be to purchase a scan tool. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is that Clip. It is $104 from china (cracked version). I'll check what reader that workshop has - it was my son who visited him yesterday.. It doesn't look that hard to replace from utube videos, I will return to you after a few days, I will check the spare part on local Renault shop as well...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wonder where the VIN-number is ***** this Laguna...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Usually on a name plate at the bottom of the windshield on the dash.It may be on the door as well in some cases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check tomorrow..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete