Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Is it possible to exchange dashboard From 1989 to 1984 944

Customer Question

Is it possible to exchange dashboard From 1989 to 1984 944 base model
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Porsche. The Porsche Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Nothing works on my 1984 dashboard and I mean nothing works checked all the fuses and relays everything ok so was given a wrecked 89 that has everything working but everything is analog can it be changed over.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I need a mechanic for this part of my project the rest I can do I am not good with wires.
JA: OK! The Porsche Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Porsche Mechanic should know about your Porsche?
Customer: No the car runs fine other than the cooling fans for the radiator.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Porsche Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  THEmechanic replied 7 months ago.
You know in the whole scheme of things anything is possible but in reality this is not possible. 1st of all the openings are different from the 84 to 89. Then if you tried to swap gauges and rewire everything, it would not be worth the trouble. Also, in the Porsche world especially now, stock is KING. Every one that wants a Porsche wants it as original as possible. So to answer your question, I would continue to try and fix your current gauges. Your gauges on the 84 are individual (unlike the 89 cluster) and I would like to ask which one does not work? Do you have illumination when you turn the headlights on?