Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

Volvo 940: I get a knockin sound on in the steering wheel on

Customer Question

I get a knockin sound on in the steering wheel on low speeds. both left and right turns. Why is that? its Volvo 940 wagon 1993
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
hi im kevin can I just confirm the noise so if you put steering to full lock either way as you pull away you get a knock ---knock -knock ---knock ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no not on the full lock, its as you turn. sometimes a big knock come times small knoc knoc knoc
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
So the nocking is as you turn wheel without moving car ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
knockingless at stationery but definitely louder and hard on low speed. at high speed I dont feel it as cant do the sharp turns. Problem started after driving with winter chains on a long trip (low speed 30-40 km per hr). To be more precise sound does not come as I turn it but right after the turning the can hear it when engine is off sound comes louder when engine running with hydraulic pressure
So far I have opened around the wheel housing and when I touch it it feels it coming from ignition key unit( may be steering lock)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Ok im going to opt out on this another tech may be able to assist further
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First thing to check is the radius arm bushings, then the sway bar bushings, It's likely one of those things. The sway bar bushings will "slide out" of the bracket that holds it and then the sway bar knocks around in the bracket. Raise the cars front end, and see if you can push the wheel towards the back of the car any. It shouldn't move hardly any, if you can push the entire wheel and tire back any more than 1/2 and inch or so, the radius arm bushings will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find there.