Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Pearl, I have an 04 reg Megane 2.0l which wont start, dash

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have an 04 reg Megane 2.0l which wont start, dash board says steering locked which it isn't, then says steering not locked, then the normal press clutch or brake to start. nothing happens and we go around the same again service light also comes on with the steering message.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Renault. The Renault Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I am
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car has a large battery drain which I cant find I think it has something to do with the central locking but cant be sure as I only have basic equipment. I also have 2 keys car wont start with either of them. The car seems to recognise both keys and I can hear the relay clicking when the star button is pressed. Any ideas would be appreciated. Regards Mike
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Renault Mechanic should know about your Renault?
Customer: Cant think of anything at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. With the service light coming on like this here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out using a scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.I have seen faults with the electronic ignition switch cause issues like this here in the past needing replaced as well as electronic steering locks in some cases.In order to locate the source of the battery drain a multi meter is needed as well as a vehicle wiring diagram.If you have the tool and diagrams and want the info on how to test this here let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete