Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Passat: just bought passat 2.0 se deisel 08 reg notice engine

Customer Question

just bought passat 2.0 se deisel 08 reg notice engine slightly noisy until warm then it completely goes
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. On your noise can you explain the noise or even better make a short video of the engine running and post the video here so i can experience the noise ? thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang, The car has covered 57000 miles and has service history the noise maybe normal but it sounds a little harsh when cold between 2000 to 3000 revs with my limited knowledge a bit camshafty i have just checked the oil level it would imply it needs a top up i have only had the car 2 weeks and i am really pleased with the car but would like to get this sorted
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
there can be several possibilities . dual mass flywheel where it bangs around at idle and more cold than hot .possible flat cam causing the noise as i have said a recording would be great so i can hear to say if it needs to be more tended to or normal thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Wolfgang will try sending you a video with noise but will be later in week as i am not able to do this myself.Ree Regards Regards Frank
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
ok Frank thanks!!