Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Vectra 2.2 Sri Direct: , I have a Vectra Sri 2.2 Direct on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Vectra Sri 2.2 Direct on a 55 plate. At 25k (May 2009) the timing kit was replaced pt no 12577386 (£800). Now 52k the timing kit has failed causing damage to all valves and needs a new engine, vauxhall don't want to know.
Regards Darren
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
hi im kevin why was original timing chain replaced so early ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
have you had yearly services since?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Initially changed due to rattling. Yes it's annually serviced...There are known issues with this timing kit (field remedy 2366) they upgraded the hydraulic tensioner to a spring version. I'm not sure when this was implemented but it's not the kit they put on my car.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
the issues that were known were on the earlier version running to 2002 so not affecting your model .the dealer wont cover because of the age of car the car being 11 years old takes it to around the time if a timing chain were going to fail it would fail.they wont cover on the replaced parts from 2009 as you will only have had a years warranty on these parts .normally in this type of instance the dealer wont pay anything a all regardless of how low mileage is because of age .sometimes they may offer a contribution but only if repairs were going to be economical but I believe in you case unfortunately the repairs out way the value of car.im sorry if this isn't the answer your looking for im in no way connected to Vauxhall and can only advise as to my personal experience in these situations .unfortunately this really leaves you with two options either to cut your loses and replace car or have a second hand engine fitted as this is a slightly cheaper option
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please remember to rate my service and let me know if I can help you further in any way
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was an oil nozzle problem on the vectra b not lubricating the chain adequately. The field remedy I mentioned specifically states vectra c 2004-2008 with the Z22yh engine which is my vehicle.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
my apologies you are correct but my answer will be the same if a recall work is carried out the work only stands until the car is 5 years old so they would only have covered this until 2011 because they believe effectively they have cured the problem that cause the failure
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But why did they not fit the remedy to my car when it failed in 2009?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And it was not a recall.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
I thought you were saying that this had been carried out as I read the field remedy I would agree this should have been carried out my apologies .I would continue to try to speak to Vauxhall uk not the dealer I think they deffinatly at minimum should have made a contribution to your repair cots
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's my thoughts, cheers.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please remember to rate my service and let me know how you get on
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please remember to rate my service
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please remember to rate my service