Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I have a 2.4 diesel transit, 2004 model, 115ps. It is getting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2.4 diesel transit, 2004 model, 115ps. It is getting difficult to start, and when it fires it is on 2 and 3 cylinders, then smooth's out after a few seconds. It seems down on power and has also developed a slight misfire, or hold back around 3000-3200rpm when accelerating hard or on a hill. Any ideas please?. I have replaced fuel and air filters, and had a slight leak from leak off pipes which made no difference. Thanks. Tam.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I am quite capable of doing a fair bit to vehicles, just unsure what to look at, whether it is a timing solenoid issue, or something else.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuel filter and air filter
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Its done around 140 thousand miles
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This type of fault here can be caused by a fault with the fuel injection pump being weak not supplying enough fuel pressure needing replaced or one or more of the fuel injectors allowing to much fuel into a cylinder or bleeding back through their return (if these have return ports).I have seen all of these cause this type of fault here needing replaced to correct this issue.I would have the fuel system tested to see if one or more of these is the cause here needing replaced to correct this fault. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete