Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Here, I have a 1998 R20 Nissan Terrano. The immobiliser

Customer Question

***** ***** here, I have a 1998 R20 Nissan Terrano. The immobiliser has locked the ECU. Ive read here that the radio is connected to the immobiliser. The vehicle has had an aftermarket radio head unit fitted, and was running fine, but since an unrelated issue caused the fault (faulty ignition switch), I have been trying to get the vehicle going again.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I removed and rewired the aftermarket radio as part of removing the dash. There is a Green/Blue trace wire at the radio which is not wired. This I believe to be the Immobiliser wire. What is the signal it needs? My guess is either an earth signal, or 12v+ ignition.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online. If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool or computer plugged into your model here that can read all computers this needs done.If any codes are set these codes will need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.This may just need a relearn from a dealer to allow starting and operation again since the ignition switch was replaced.This will need checked/tested further to see if a relearn is all that is needed here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I have read and erased fault codes using engine lamp to blink codes. And vehicle has been to a nissan dealer who tell me theECU is locked
My question is ; what is the signal required by the IMMU from the radio? The original radio is long gone and the wire between them is currently not fitted off to anything.
While it may not be the problem I'm sure it is one problem which needs to be eliminated. So where do I fit this off to give the IMMU the signal it needs? Someone who has fitted an aftermarket head unit to this model would know please
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately I do not have the diagrams of this myself on what the radio does for the immobilizer here.I know some models require an adapter harness to wire in the after market radio properly so all of the other electronics operate properly and this is usually obtained from an auto accessory/radio install facility.I would check and see if there is a special harness that is needed for this here and if not you may have to go back to a factory radio as some models do require factory radios for proper operation. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete