Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Santa Fe: there Mike, i wonder if you can shed any light

Customer Question

Hi there Mike, i wonder if you can shed any light i have on a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 crd. car starts no problem but will cut out while driving. No perticular time as it will do it with full acceleration or just cruising. Car will stop dead and will only restart after 20 seconds or so after hearing the ecu relay click. Only code is p1181 read with Snap On Solus Pro and Launch
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I have seen issues with the crank position sensor cause a fault like this here needing replaced as well as a fault with an electronic ignition switch causing an issue.I would have these tested to see if any are found to be an issue needing replaced.I would also have the fuse/relay panel checked that houses the ecu relay for any corroded wiring or terminals needing repaired or replaced for this fault here.If all of these are checked and found to be o.k. let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi there Pete
I did not think the crank sensor or ignition switch would have pulled up a p1181 fault code. It is the only code that comes up. I think the next step is to try a leak off test.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Is the engine cranking over with the starter when this fault occurs and it does not restart right away?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi there Pete, it will crank over no problem but will not start. If you switch ignition off and wait 20 seconds or so you hear a relay under the bonnet click (main ecu relay i think) then turn the key and it will start up straight away with no hesitation.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
I have seen issues with main relays before causing issues like this here needing replaced.This may be the case here since it does click with the key switched off and then it starts from there.If this relay can be located that is causing the click noise I would replace it and see if this corrects the fault here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi there Pete
Main relay has already been replaced and still giving the same problem
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
I apologize for the delay. Check for any bent or damaged terminals that the relay plugs into that may need repaired to correct this issue here.If any issues are found with the terminals let me know. Thanks Pete