Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a 2007 x-type estate and have lost mw & lw radio reception

Customer Question

I have a 2007 x-type estate and have lost mw & lw radio reception in the UK.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: FM is fine and unscrewing the aerial loses FM. If I tune to 198 on LW (BBC Radio4) and wind up the volume, I can just about hear a voice, with a lot of interference. From reading on the forums, it could be the amplifier in the headlining, but I'd like a better opinion before I order a replacement and drop the headlining.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, hopefully, I'm familiar with mechanics.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Removing the USB charger from the car, unscrewing the aerial and reseating and checking the set is set up for Europe.
JA: Is there anything else the Jaguar Mechanic should be aware of about your Jaguar?
Customer: No, not really, thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
HelloThe pre 2009 X-type estate ariel is on the roof the ' bee sting' and often you can improve reception by unscrewing it and cleaning the screw from corrosionThere is also a booster/interference suppressor behind one of the back trim panelsbut I'd 1st replace the aerial as its far cheaper and easier to replace
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you