sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2004 toyota yaris has an idling problem.The engine is surging

Customer Question

my 2004 toyota yaris has an idling problem.The engine is surging and i am wondering what sensor could be faulty to cause this.I FITTED A SECOND HAND THROTTLE BODY,BUT PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE.INSTEAD OF SURGING THE ENGINE REVS INCREASED BY THEMSELVES.IVE CHECKED FOR POSSIBLE AIR LEAKS BUT FOUND NOTHING THERE ARE NO WARNING MESSAGES SHOWING,AND CAR CAN BE DRIVEN AT HIGHER SPEEDS WITHOUT MISSFIRE
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Some times revs will drop down to around just above stalling ,then go up to more than 2000 revs.If i flick the throttle it sometimes drops back,At present the revs are surging from around 1000revs up to 2000 revs plus.continuoslly.Would a diagnostic check find faults.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: ive tried and so far without any success
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The car was running fine ,just idling arround 1200 | thought i would check idling control valve,to see if it was sticking.That was when the reving and surging started.Icouldnt get it to idle at standerd revs
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: What do you mean,the car is a 2004 998cc toyota yaris.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: great,just was idling too fast
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if you may have a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak will introduce unaccounted for air into the engine and will cause the idle to be high. The ECM can try to compensate for the high idle and cause the fluctuation you're seeing.The first step in diagnosing the problem is checking for fault codes. Do you know if any codes are setting?