Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Volkswagen Passat: . I have a 2004 Passat, 1.8T awt European

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2004 Passat, 1.8T awt European market, mileage: 125000, 200000km. We replaced the head with a good used unit. We changed some PCV hoses and valve, pressure regulator valve (hockey puck), a new turbo, timing belt. Everything was done properly according to my mechanic. The car started fine, but we got a P0341 code. Since then, it needs to be cranked a couple of times to fire up. I wanted to try something, so what I did is that I held the sensor with my hand, and turned it a few degrees to the right (facing engine), I asked a helper to start it, and it fired up instantly. I gave it more tries, and every time it would fire up instantly. although the code changed after that from P0341 to P0340. Is this a timing problem, or a camshaft position sensor problem?
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Forgot to add, the rpm speed was fluctuating from like 750 rpms to 900 rpms, but after turning the sensor, it was stable.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. the cylinder head that you replaced was the cams transfered from the old head to the new head? was the timing belt rechecked on timing marks ? please let me know!! thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The cams were not transferred, the "new" engine head had its cams bolted on. The timing has not been rechecked by the mechanic yet. I have already ordered a new sensor, because the old one appears to have some damage, and I want to rule out the sensor
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
please do that first . if that still does not do the trick timing must be checked from the belt side and the chain side
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will do that. I have another question though. Is it okay to have air blowing from the oil cap in these cars? It's like when you have bad piston rings, when i turn the oil cap, without removing it from the valve cover, it starts jumping around. Seems kinda excesive to me, but that's my first turboed car, so i'm not quite sure.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
that is normal !!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I changed the cam position sensor with a new Bosch unit, and I'm still having the same problem. I'm also getting a p0171 system too lean code.Tomorrow I'm taking the car to my mechanic to check the timing.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
it has to be off!!! by a tooth!! the lean code is secondary must get the timing issue resolved first!!!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. It's was until now that I could check the timing with my mechanic. He said the marks are dead on, and has no clue what to do more. We are going to connect it to a Vag-com and take it from there
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
it may be set on the timing belt side but how about the chain side ???? also was the cam gear and crank gear removed to make sure that the keyway is not sheared or shifted due to a valve bend??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There were no bent valves. Cam gear and crank gear were removed and checked. He removed the the valve cover today, and told me that all marks are lined up on the chain, cam gear and crank gear (I was not there when he checked it). Next week I will be taking it to another mechanic who has a VAG-COM to plug it in and check it. I have also checked the camshaft position sensor connector with a multimeter, and it's getting 5 volt with the key on which I is within spec. I read online that you can check the timing mark on the flywheel rather than the crank pulley. Do you have any info about that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still leaning toward a timing issue.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
p0340 is a correlation fault so mechanically its out of time . ok the timing cover there is a sticker . i do need the engine code to make sure i give you the right information of chain timing for the cams!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
even better a vin # ***** the vehicle will help!!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the vin WVWZZZ3BZ5E078207
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
checking on this VW server is down so there will be a delay!! thanks