sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1: I have a BMW 1 59 plate my problem is that after switching

Customer Question

I have a BMW 1 59 plate my problem is that after switching off the engine and wanting to listen to the radio I am unable to as after about 3mins the ignition switches off, can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if you're simply shutting off the engine and listening to the radio on retained accessory power, where everything would shut off if the doors were opened. If you're wanting to listen to the radio with the engine off what you'll need to do is shut the engine off and then press the ignition button once without pressing the brake. Pressing the ignition button without pressing the brake will allow the radio to power up but the engine will not start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed your instructions but I am sorry it did not work, the radio still turns off after about 2mins, my car is manual not auto.
Have you tried turning the engine off, opening a door to get it out of the retained accessory power mode, and then turning the ignition on without pressing the brake or clutch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have tried all your surgesstions but alas none seem to work the radio still turns off after 2 mins, the battery warning light comes on for a few seconds after about 1min and then goes out.
In light of that information you can be pretty certain that it's turning off due to low battery voltage. You'll need to have the battery load tested and I believe you'll find it's weak or will fail.