Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Rx8 1688 fault sometime runs when cold. JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

Rx8 1688 fault sometime runs when cold.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes in limpmode
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Has anything been done to try and locate or correct this fault here at all? Let me know so we can continue from here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No , recent oil change.
No 2 coil pack changed for different code
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
O.k.,this code sets for any of these issues here: • Metering oil pump malfunction • Metering oil pump switch malfunction • Connector or terminal malfunction • Open circuit in wiring harness between main relay terminal C and metering oil pump terminal C • Short to GND in wiring harness between main relay terminal C and metering oil pump terminal C • Open circuit in wiring harness between main relay terminal C and metering oil pump terminal D • Short to GND in wiring harness between main relay terminal C and metering oil pump terminal D • Open circuit in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal A and PCM terminal 2V • Short to GND in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal A and PCM terminal 2V • Open circuit in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal E and PCM terminal 2W • Short to GND in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal E and PCM terminal 2W • Open circuit in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal B and PCM terminal 2Y • Short to GND in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal B and PCM terminal 2Y • Open circuit in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal F and PCM terminal 2AB • Short to GND in wiring harness between metering oil pump terminal F and PCM terminal 2AB • Short to GND in wiring harness between metering oil pump switch terminal A and PCM terminal 2N • PCM malfunction The oil metering pump can fail and cause this here.It sends a small amount of oil to the rotor housing to lubricate seals.The most common cause is the oil metering pump switch needing replaced or the oil metering pump itself needing replaced.This will have to be tested further to locate the fault to be sure and then from there repaired to correct this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete