Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Sprinter: , I live in Bermuda and have a mercedes sprinter

Customer Question

HI, I live in Bermuda and have a mercedes sprinter from the UK. Last week message came up EXHAUST RUN AT HIGH SPEED. Took vehicle in for service now vehicle won't start, dealer recommended i replace catylictic converter which is only 4 months old because vehicle would not perform regeneration and after further diagnostic I was told I needed told replace throttle valve. CODES that came up, P2463309, P012200. Can you please help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello if the ECU thinks the DPF is blocked then it won't allow full engine power so I'd suggest; taking the car for a long drive where you can keep the engine rpm up over 2000 rpm for around 30 mins this will get plenty of heat into the system and get the system into re-gen mode if that doesn't help then consider or even removing it completely as you'll still pass MOT's fine without it, the key thing is to have the ECU re-programmed so its no longer looking for it or On cars where the DPF is removed then typically you get more power and more mpg as it restricts the exhaust even when new
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you did not respond to the issue with the throttle valve and codes, is it likely the throttle valve has a fault which is affecting the dpf
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
helloI'd only replace the throttle if it looks like its stickingso if you remove the inlet tubing so you can see the throttle and then with the ignition on but engine off have your assistant slowly push down on the accelerator pedal the throttle should open smoothly and steadilyany jerks or stop/ start and it should be replaced
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you did not reply to the issue with codes and whether a fault with the throttle valve affects the dpf
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
hello the P2463 is the code for the DPF being blocked by soot and its very unlikely that a faulty throttle will create a clogged DPF as its all down to a lack of hard use and P1220 is a fault with the injection timing and you may see an issue with a lack of power and poor fuel consumption