Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

Volkswagen Passat TDI: there,I have an issue opening the

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have an issue opening the driver door of my VW Passat 2005 using my electronic key. It opens fine when using the manual key.
Looking through a number of forums I have tried a number of things to fix this such repeated door slamming opening inner and outer door latches together a number of times but with no joy.
What I have found is the following:
- It does not seem to be a mechanical issue. When the alarm system is deactivated the door can be locked and unlocked from both the inside and outside.
- When I apply the central locking for inside (not using the key) I can unlock the door from both inside and outside.
- When I turn the lock mechanism on the side of the door to the locked position the door open can be released from both inside and outside (with alarm system deactivated).
- However once the central locking is applied using the electronic key the door will only open using the manual key entry.
Any suggestion to further test before going to a garage / dealer?
Thank you,
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. i have a couple of more questions to get more information. on the electronic remote does the light blink when pressed?was the vehicle scanned for codes in the comfort module?was there any recent repair work done to the vehicle?any accidents when the issue popped up?please let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. Yes the light blinks when pressed.
2. No the car was not recently scanned.
3. The most recent work carried out was replacing a rear break caliper and rear break motor.
4. I have had no recent accidents, the issue only really began when the weather got cold here. It was intermittent at first, then approx a month ago it permanently would not open any more with the electronic key
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
ok you have a b6 passat then when you mentioned you have parking brake motor. do you notice at times if you open any door the interior lights do not come on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All usually come on, but to be honest I have no been paying attention. I tried a few times this evening to see if there was any discrepancy but the lights came on every time
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
did you check all 4 doors?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I checked all today and all appear to work when I opened each door
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
the next step is to scan the comfort module and see if there are any faults stored . usually a latch not reading correctly will disrupt the operation f the remote.the logical way is to narrow down the possibilities so a scan test will be needed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Will this need to be carried out by a dealer/garage?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
yes it would !