Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Glow pugs not working on 1.4tdci fiesta JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

glow pugs not working on 1.4tdci fiesta
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: glow plug light on dash not lighting either
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Waiting for an answer...
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
HelloI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the fuse location?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
hello it looks like that fuse is actually built into the glow plug relay as a fuseable link so if you have no power to the glow plugs then the 1st step should be to check the glow plug relay - follow the glow plug leads back to the fusebox to locate it
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you