Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

The dashboard is "dead" and it's in "limp"

Customer Question

Hi, the dashboard is "dead" and it's in "limp" mode. It's a Mercedes glk 220 cdi
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes, the car is only driving at half power, and the dashboard is black. We're driving over a mountain atm, so it's quite urgent.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This sounds like an electrical power loss here.I have seen when the battery can start to fail this can occur as well as the alternator and have seen issues with the SAM control unit (usually the front SAM) on some of these models with issues needing replaced due to electronic failure.This sounds to be a major fault and the vehicle may eventually stall out at some point.You will have to have the codes read out with either a dealers SDS machine or a scan tool that is compatible with your model here and can read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.I would have the battery and alternator/generator tested to see either is failing needing replaced as well as the connections at the battery and alternator to see if there are any loose or damaged connections at all. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete