sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Here. got Santa fe mk2 v6 with codes p0171/74

Customer Question

hi. ***** ***** here. got Santa fe mk2 v6 with codes p0171/74 runs nice but cant get rid of eml. Airflow meter replaced, 2 lamnda sensors, plugs, inlet manifold and gasket. i'm at my wits end
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: eml keeps staying on , what next , costing a fortune for a light!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Hyundai Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!An upstream oxygen sensor can cause a single bank to run rich or lean but you have a code for both banks, which tells you that whatever is causing the problem is affecting the whole engine.The most likely cause for these codes setting together would be low fuel pressure. Has fuel pressure been tested under a load?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it hasn't presumably because the car performs very well, no shortage of power or acceleration. Both lamnda sensors (top) have been replaced. Have seen P2187 and P2189 also. Garage has done a smoke test, replaced the inlet gasket and retested and found ok. If the engine is left to idle, all is fine for 20 mins or so and then it will start to run lumpy. This was diagnosed as Air Flow meter and replaced but made no difference. If the light wasn't on, one would not know there was a problem. Each time I reset its ok for a road test but will come on again when driven next. so fed up I want to sell it but of course at the moment it's worthless. could it be brake servo? or EGR?
The EGR valve hanging open would cause the engine to run rich.The first step in diagnosing this code is to check fuel pressure and it needs to be done while the problem is happening. If it hasn't been done it will need to be.