Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

Battery change on a 2001 xj x308 now wont start turns over

Customer Question

Hi, battery change on a 2001 xj x308 now wont start turns over just wont kick in any ideas please
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Is the engine cranking normally or does it seem to crank too fast / slow? Had the vehicle been sitting stored for an extended period of time?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
cranking normally has been stored for 5 months outside and covered i do the same thing every year for the last 3 years last time started aftrer 8 to 10 mins this time doesnt seem to want to start , took the battery out same as before stored in the house ,fully charged put the battery back in refulled thats where im upto at the moment thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
OK thanks. I usually see this when vehicle sit or are started and shut off repeatedly. I recommend we first try a clear flood method. Hold your foot on the gas then rapidly pump the gas while cranking to see if it starts. I know the battery may be fully charged but we should put a booster on it as the extended cranking will wear down the battery quickly. Also do this for only about 20 seconds at a time. If it still will not start we can try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the air intake tube while an assistant tries to start it to see if it will start and run on the spray.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok i will try this later on need to go and buy the starting fluid thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
OK keep me posted.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, tried the spray it will fire and run for about 2 to 3 seconds but thats all, there is no smell of petrol ie flooding and as soon as you try to touch the throttle it dies out cheers ( FUEL PUMP IS WORKING OK)
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
If you continue to use the spray does the engine stay running?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes the engine continues to run on the spray.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
OK then this tells us we have a fuel delivery problem. It could be a bad pump, relay or clogged filter. Could even be contaminated fuel. We need to check fuel pressure on the injector rail with a gauge and make sure we have battery voltage to fuse #7 in the trunk fuse box while cranking as that comes from the relay.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks i will try all that .
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
OK sounds good.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, well after all that effort its down to the fuel pump was working and died so tank out and fuel pump out when i took the fuel pump out to my horror the connectors crumbled and looked burnt. can i snip the ends off put some heat shield on and put two new connectors on and refit the pump without buying the whole sender unit wiring harness ?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately the internal harness and sender should be replaced as connector ends very rarely hold up.