Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

Kia 2.7 sportage: Ever since my Kia Sp[ortage power steering

Customer Question

Ever since my Kia Sp[ortage power steering pump became noisy the engine has also idled badly .Is there a relationship between the two ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, if the pump is noisy it is likely low on fluid. If it was low on fluid for long enough it could go bad. The only way that it could affect the idle of the vehicle is if it was starting to seize up and causing excessive drag on the engine. But I will say that I have never seen this happen, usually the engine will just continue spinning the belt and burn the belt up around the pulley of the pump. I would try removing the belt and seeing if the engine idles normally again. Other than that you're probably dealing with a separate issue. I have attached a belt diagram for you to reference. The tension is released by putting a 3/8" ratchet into the tensioner and pull it toward the front of the vehicle.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you