Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

98 Maxima 3.o No codes in computer, The engine stalls when

Customer Question

98 Maxima 3.o No codes in computer, The engine stalls when cold,or sits for a while. looking at live data on the scanner when temp. reaches 166 degrees the car runs well until it cools back off after sitting. Can you help me through this problem?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked the engine coolant temp sensor signal at all to see if this signal is reading properly when cold?

Let me know so we can continue from here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No How do I check it?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Usually this is checked with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the engine computer and that can read the engine data list to see what the engine coolant temp sensor signal reads.It can also in some cases be tested with a multi meter testing its resistance.If you have a multi meter to test this sensors signal let me know and I can see what I can find on this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have scanner for live data. Thats how I new what temp. the car started running normal at, last time I checked it when it was cold (engine) it was within range of the outside temp. 34 degrees. It appears to sending the correct signal as far as temp outside. Untill it gets to 166 degrees it smothers for fuel and stalls when you press on accelerator. What should I do to check this sensor more? Thanks for trying to help me Pete.