Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a ford escort 1998,problem is this, using a lot of

Customer Question

I have a ford escort 1998,problem is this, using a lot of water, getting clouds of white smoke. Plus starting is difficult, and has a misfire or stalls. But once it settles it ticks over fine. Have checked the oil, the amount has not changed plus, there is no sign of water on the dip stick or in top. Would be grateful for some sort of reason.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the white smoke is burning coolant. it comes from a damaged head gasket that leaks coolant into the combustion chamber. it is not bad at the moment but will get worse over time and will not stay the same. the solution is to have a leak down test done to confirm the issue. once it is confirmed, the head will have to come off, gasket inspected for failure and the head pressure tested for any cracks. the old escorts were common for cracking cylinder heads from overheating

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for that.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.

your welcome

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy