Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2010 Mazda 6 2.0L. I can hear a gh pitched rattle

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2010 Mazda 6 2.0L. I can hear a high pitched rattle coming from the belt area which started when the car was at 140000 km on the odometer.
The sound comes on during idling and is louder when the a/c is turned on. During low rev also is audible when stepping on the gas.
I have brought the car to a certified mazda service center and they have changed everything on the pulley system from tensioner to idle pulley to water pump costs g thousands in repair work. After every part replacement the problem seems to go away for 1-2 days but then the sound comes back after that.
Also when a lubricant spray is applied on the belt the sound is less but will restart again few seconds later.
What is the likely source of the problem?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

The most likely cause is the AC compressor clutch coil shims coming apart or the clutch coil it self coming apart. It would help to verify if I could listen to the noise. If you have a phone that records video and audio, record it, upload to youtube and post a link here for me.