Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

2011 Fiat 500 Pop: The car starts and drives normally but

Customer Question

2011 Fiat 500 Pop: The car starts and drives normally but often cuts out within 5-10 mins of driving (often when on a hill). This does not happen if I allow the car to warm up and idle for 10 minutes before I start my journey. If often happens on inclines and declines. Incredibly difficult to re-start as if lacking fuel, even though the tank may be full. Once re-started it runs rough for the first 5-10 minutes and then it's fine. Any help would be welcomed!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: der......yeah!
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Fiat?
Customer: It's a twin air?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nobody has tried anything, you are my first port of call.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

With what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with the engine coolant temp sensor itself.I have seen this temp sensor fail in the past before needing replaced to correct this fault here.It sends an incorrect temp signal to the computer which can cause the fault until the engine has warmed up for a few minutes or longer.

I would have this tested to see if for sure it is the cause and replaced if found to be at fault.This is best done by a dealer or repair center that works on this model here as they will have the correct testing tools for this but I do suspect this is the cause with what you have described.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete