Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Just bought a Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Zetec S. Checked it over and

Customer Question

Hi Just bought a Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Zetec S. Checked it over and test drove all okay. Driving home and it cut out. Didn't restart immediately but did so and got it to near a layby where it cut out again, but managed to freewheel park safely. Didn't restart. Left for 10 mins and restarted but cut out immediately. Tried again after another 10 mins and running fine. However didn't want to drive home so loaded onto recovery vehicle. Vehicle started and then immediately cut out again. Left for 10 mins and then started. Any ideas please?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Info above Although, no error codes observed on dash if that helps
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

There are two common components I have seen that can cause this issue here.First is a failing crank position sensor sending an incorrect signal.This is most common needing replaced.The other component is a fuel pump intermittently acting up needing replaced.I have seen where it can cut out and cause low pressure and cause this here.If your model only uses a fuel injection pump and does not have a low pressure pump most likely this is more of a crank sensor fault needing replaced.A crank sensor failing usually does not cause any fault codes to set making it difficult to diagnose but I have had to replace several on all models vehicles in the past before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
Thanks for your reply
I'm not an expert but yes the crank sensor and or the low pressure fuel tank pump could be at fault, notwithstanding other possible issues.
I note that you say that your info is somewhat limited on your model but thanks again for your input. I was hoping to get a reply from a time-served Ford mechanic TBH as I'm sure this isn't the first occurrence of this type of fault on this model of car / engine and therefore (hopefully) they'd be able to provide a definitive solution. Do you know if there any Ford mechanics on here? And if so, is there a process for flagging my query up to them?
Thanks,
Mark
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize if my info didnt help here with what you were looking for.I saw no one else had replied and wanted to see if I could help in any way here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response I have been away over the weekend
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you some technical assistance with your concernDo you still require assistance with your concern
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian
Thanks for your message. Apologies for not replying sooner; I was unwell last week and this is my first opportunity.
As I was unwell last week and unable to repair the car it was taken into a garage for repair, so we don't need assistance now, thanks,
Regards,
Mark