Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

The roof on my 1998 slk has stopped working. I manually over

Customer Question

Hi, Im Monty. The roof on my 1998 slk has stopped working. I manually over rided the system and closed the roof. Now the light on the switch for the roof stays on and I get a periodic warning sound from it. What can I do to get it working again. I believe it stopped working because there was something left on the shelf in the boot where the roof sits.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: At best the garage I use is closed for the weekend and I cannot close the small windows behind the door windows
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately when a fault code sets in the roof system the roof will either operate incorrectly or not at all which the windows are tied into the roof operation.There are several micro switches/sensors that relay parts of the roofs position to the roof control unit/ecu.When one of these switches fails to send the correct signal this issue here occurs.The computer does not see the roof is closed or open all the way as it sees a fault with one of the position switches which can keep the windows from operating like this here.

Most of the time the fault is with at least one of the switch/sensors that send the position signals needing adjusted or replaced.

What will have to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and correct the fault here.The compatible scan tool is also used to monitor the switch/sensor data so you can see which one is not sending the correct signal.

Unfortunately until you have the codes checked and possibly just cleared out with this scan tool the windows will not operate properly or at all like this here.This usually needs checked and done by a dealer with their SDS machine but in some cases a local shop that may be open now may be able to do this as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your response. It is what I expected However I have fixed the problem by switching on the engine removing the relay on the hydraulic unit and replacing it. This must have over ridden the computer safe mode on the roof system. Thanks anyway
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

That probably reset the fault and it may be temporarily.If the fault continues you will have to have the codes checked and the sensor signals to see if one is at fault.It may have just been an issue with a component sitting on the shelf if the top was operated with this component sitting there but if it occurs again it will need checked into further to locate and repair this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete