Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech
Experience:  15 yr Master VW/AUDI Technician Shop Foreman
19871424

Vw golf mk 5 wont start

Customer Question

vw golf mk 5 wont start
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

hi im kevin what does car do ? does engine try to turn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi yes it turns over for 1 sec then nothing
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

ok and how did this start did it fail whilst driving ? any other recent work /issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was fitting a fascia to my centre console and pulled out the hazard lights switch then re-connected it then car would not start
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

ok have you checked all fuses ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im gonna send u a vid now
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sorry cant upload vid iv checked all fuses the hazard light switch is faulty because when i move it or press it the lights on dash intermittently go on and off the indicator lights ive found out the hazard light switch the triangle one is connected to the immobilizer
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thats highly possible glad your sorted please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just found out my car is put it self in to immobilize mode it's displaying the car and key symbol so need to get the re-programmed but how?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

you can only reprogramme immobiliser with suitable diagnostic equipment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You think if the key programming tecnition comes with vag com he can do it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

its unlikely vag com will be able to carry out immobiliser programming the technician will likely need a pass through diagnostic tool to allow access to online server

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what shall I do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

you can try vag com and see what faults are stored but if immobiliser has lost key memory a specialist will have to code key ie auto locksmith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got an appointment tomorrow with 3d auto keys they have a vag com
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

you need to find what's wrong it may still have memory of keys but have restricted function because of issues with hazard switch you need to read faults before going further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The auto key guy can and tried using 3s different machines said it would not read car then left, I think I must have shorted that relay in the back if the hazard light switch but ran out if options now what to do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

im going to opt out on thisi one another tech will assist

Expert:  subimike replied 1 year ago.
How can i help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vag com won't communicate with car, blown relay on hazard light switch car not started since, starts but then cuts out
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer .

I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need more information in the back where the spare tire is there is a 3x5 white sticker . i do need a photograph of that sticker so i can pull up wiring diagrams to assist.

i do need also a picture of the instrument cluster after the car starts and shuts down .

with that also need to know is there any flashing yellow lights and the check engine light does it come on?

thanks!!