Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Had from previous owner 2 weeks ago on loan with view to

Customer Question

Had from previous owner 2 weeks ago on loan with view to purchase. Grating sound yesterday preceded total clutch slip this morning ? Clutch ? DMF also car is in 'Factory or Transport Pause Mode - since I had it
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. At side of road waiting for RAC - not sure where to recover to for most cost effective resolution
JA: OK! The Volvo Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a clutch fault.This can be due to the clutch itself worn or broken or pressure plate issue and in some cases I have seen the fly wheel itself damaged needing replaced.This will have to be checked over to locate which components for sure need replaced or repaired to correct this fault here.

If the vehicle is in a factory transport mode this usually needs taken out of transport mode with a dealers scan tool/computer to correct this here.I would have this checked into as well to see if this can be done for sure here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete