Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience

I have a 2002 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (130). When driving at

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (130). When driving at 40-50mph i felt the car judder slightly, further along the road as I was accelerating from 30mph it judder again and felt like it was low on power. At the same time the speedo, tacho, temp and fuel gauges all went round past the max readings and the trip, odo and range displays went blank, the backlight to the cluster stayed lit. As i slowed the car stalled. it restarted again without problem but after driving another 50-100m it stalled again. I found that keeping the revs low it would drive, albeit without anything functioning on the instrument pack. I also noticed that the aircon temp display stopped working, as did the rear wiper and the intermittent front wiper function.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depends how easy it is! It now drives but sometimes the speedo/tacho etc read zero, sometime they go beyond max. Each time I start it they work okay but once I've pulled away they drop again. Any ideas??
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: After driving for a while, if I have to stop at a junction or traffic lights for example and don't have any airflow I've convinced myself there's a hot electrical smell inside the car
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 7 months ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you some technical assistance with your concernOk your symptoms are a telltale Sign of a faulty alternator
the alternator is used to charge the vehicles battety around 14.3 volts when running
When the alternator fails the out out drops to ie: 11 volts which isn't enough to charge the battery so the vehicles electrics start using what is left in the battery untill the vintage goes do low (below 10.5 volts ) the modules start shutting down one at a time ie cluster /climate control module
And the vehicle will eventually cut out with restarting sonetimes possibly but eventually the vehicles battety will be drawn so low on voltage the vehicle won't start
This would also explain the acrid electric burning you can smells which is a common smell from a faulty alternatorIf you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you were satisfied with my answer /advice
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedBrian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brian,Thanks for your feedback. The alternator has been replaced in the last 6 months. After a drive of 50 miles with all the dash not functioning, and so presumably the alternator also not recharging the battery, the car still starts fine - does this sound right for an alternator issue?
Hi there thanksOk the issue lies with the vehicles electrics either the alternator is under charging or over chargingThus the first thing to check is the charging rate across the battery when the vehicle is running it should be around 13.9-14.3 voltsIf it was a non ford alternator I have seen these cause issues after being replaced but this can be clarified by checking the charging rateAs on the flip side of this if the alternator is over charging ie - 15.5 volts. Then this would Aldo shut off modules and. Can also cause damage to the battery ( this would give off an acid type burning smell )Just be very careful if this is the case as the battery can swell up and leak battery acidAlso when these alternators becone faulty they become really hot very quickly so be careful when checking this AlsoKind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, thanks. I'll get a volt meter on the battery later.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
having gone to check voltages I've found the battery completely flat, to the point the central locking and alarm didn't work. Checking the battery in this state gave 0.135v reading. Having jump started the car and then measuring voltage (having disconnected the jump leads) it reads 14.35v.
Any ideas?
Hi there sorry for the delayed response okay what I would do is leave the car running Monitor the voltage output from the alternator As if the voltage is ok after 5-10 minutes switch The vehicle off and leave for the 5 minutes or so and then restart to see the vehicle starts as it is possible the battery may not be taking a charge
Can any smells be noticed at battery or alternatorKind regards ***** *****