Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

How do you prime the system with a manual pump (outbord

Customer Question

how do you prime the system with a manual pump (outbord motor type)
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect for an air bleed screw on the fuel filter housing or on a fuel feed line leading from the hand pump to the injection pump.If there is an air bleed screw found it needs loosened to then bleed out the air when hand pumping the primer.If this has been checked for and one isnt found let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok engine now starts after much priming which is common on the dti engines i here, problem now is its putting out alot of white smoke under load on the road but not at idle, no fault codes. any ideas ?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Was this smoke an issue before you cleaned the intake?Does the smoke stop at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no problem before cleaning, i have dissconnected the MAF plug, seems not to smoke now so guess new MAF required. i cleaned that also and must of damaged it. thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

The mass air flow sensor is a common sensor to fail and can cause this here.It is very possible that it became damaged when it was cleaned.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete