Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

1998 Mazda familia bad idle problem.. 1.8 L engine, When

Customer Question

1998 Mazda familia bad idle problem.. 1.8 L engine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When going fast, there is no problem. But when stop and go at bad traffic, idle starts to increase and decrease from 2000 to 0 and back to 2000 again, and mostly to stop..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

This is a problem most likely from a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or vacuum hoses .

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .check the PCV valve most common part for an

issue like yours .

If the check engine light is ON then have the system checked for malfunction codes .

From the code it will show you what your issue is .like you may have a P0171 lean code

which is an indication of a vacuum leak .

So first check all vacuum hoses ,as this is a big leak .

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better.
It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...