Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

How can i open the bonnet without getting into the car as

Customer Question

How can i open the bonnet without getting into the car as the battery is flat and the key doesn't open the door on an 04 plate Citroen C2 ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Is the key inserting into the barrel or cylinder and is it not turning at all or does it not insert into it at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Key inserts but doesn't turn
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,usually what happens is the key barrel/cylinder isnt used very often as usually you use the key less entry like most other people.The internal components in the barrel/cylinder start to corrode with lack of use.This causes the key to insert and not turn.Try spraying a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder and on the key end and work the key into the cylinder.Let it sit a bit and try working the key to see if the locks then release so you can then open the door and release the bonnet.This usually does the trick here.

If for some reason this does not allow you to enter the vehicle to release the bonnet a lock smith or repair company in your area with door access tools will have to come out and slim jim the door lock to release the door to open it (this doesnt damage any components on the vehicle) then the bonnet can be opened to access the battery to re charge it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete