Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My stereo (850) is giving me problems. It recognises the

Customer Question

My stereo (850) is giving me problems. It recognises the input, be it CD or radio station but loses volume. At times it is silent, at others works ok, and sometimes blares out really loudly when the volume control makes no difference. It periodically changes speakers. Its not an ariel problem, as the same happens in cd mode and the signal seems to be getting to the radio as it shows the channel. There is some crackling when the sound goes. After about half an hour driving the system seems to work, but any break in driving disrupts the sequence. However, the shorter the time stopped, the faster it stabilises.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually what causes this fault here is a fault with the sound amplifier (if equipped as most are equipped with this sound amplifier) or an issue with the radio itself internally.The crackling sound you have described here makes this sound more like the sound amplifier itself at fault needing replaced.I have had to replace several of these before in the past for this type of fault here.I have also had to replace the radio in some cases but I suspect this is more the sound amplifier itself at fault needing replaced.

This will have to be checked into further to locate which component is the cause here and then from there replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete