Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Been having problems in a morning or after car has cooled

Customer Question

Hi there been having problems in a morning or after car has cooled down and it's gradually getting worst sometimes better than others when you press the push button it turns over and cuts out it will start after a few trys sometimes 2/3 other times more there is no codes to read I have also had a new battery as sometimes the warning light was coming on the car is a 2011 mondeo tdci with 86,000 on clock any ideas
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 10 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is Brian and I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your issue

Does the engine sort of start then cut out

Does it sometimes just keeping cranking for ie10-15 seconds before bursting into life

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there the car is a push button car so will only turn over for a couple of seconds anyway on first turn, had a new battery at weekend because didn't know if that had enough power to start with
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have had the car at main dealer and because it doesn't have any codes they said battery is a good place to start

Hi there thanks and sorry for the delay

Ok in my experience with this issue the most common fault Is the throttle body (intake air shut off valve )
There is a vacuum controlled valve with a butterfly flap inside it located on the front of the inlet manifold
This is too prevent any engine run on
When you switch the engine off a vacuum is applied to this valve to close the butterfly and stop any further air being drawn into the engine after 5-10 seconds the vacuum disperses and the flap flicks back open ready for next start up

What we see is the flap sticks closed (carbon build up ) not allowing any air to be drawn into engine thus not allowing start up
The engine vibrations from cranking usually cause the flap to flick back open

In some cases you may exhibit a engine malfunction message

This is due to the MAF (Mass Air Flow ) sensor and the MAP((Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor not correlating (matching signals ) this is due to the fact no sir is passing the MAP sensor due to the flap being stuck closed

What you can do to clarify this is remove the vacuum pipe from the throttle body

This will stop the flap from closing as no vacuum will be applied to the throttle body

If you need to replace the throttle body /intake air shut off valve
This is bolted to the inlet manifold by 3x40 mm torx bolts and has 1 intake air hose attached to it

There is 2 sensors and 1 vacuum pipe on the valve
The sensors must be swapped to the new throttle body

This isn't a big job and is easily accessible as it is right top middle of the engine bay it only takes around 10 minutes to replace this part

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER AND RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any postive feedback is greatly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that but wouldn't any of the sensors put a code in the memory why does it start first time when warm thanks

Hi there

Ok if the "engine systems fault " appeared on the dash display then there will be a fault code logged as you mentioned the warning light I assumed it was the engine systems fault

The throttle body issue is more common from cold start ups and should be ruled out as part of our methodical diagnostic routine

If the fault persists after this has been done we can look into other systems which might cause this ie: air ingress into the fuel system or starter inhibitor switch issues

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no warning lights on the dash I have only seen the battery one that's why we changed the battery some one has said about starter motor not turning enough from cold ie rpm of first press of button what do you think about that ?? Is it possible

Hi thanks

Ok the battery light will stay on until the vehicle is started this is normal operation

In regards ***** ***** starter not turning fast enough from cold this isn't something I would look into as a cause to this issue

The starter relay is powered and earthed at the same time from the PCM so we know this works

I would still advise ruling the throttle body out first as this has caused many issues regarding intermitent hard starting

Also ensure the clutch pedal is fully to the floor as the starter inhibitor switch on the clutch pedal must see 75% to allow the engine to crank/continue cranking and these also have gave us concerns where by we have had to adjust them to correct postion

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian