Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have change the engine belts. The turn right but when i

Customer Question

I have change the engine belts. The turn right but when i acceralate over 3.000 rpm sometimes vibration happens and I lose power. They is a vibration on the left of the engine (the side of the air filter). Do you have any clue for that ?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I would like. I am in France and far away froma good mechanic. Is it the tension of any belt (Alternator, etc.)
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: L200 year 2001 150.000 km
JA: Our top Mitsubishi Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mitsubishi Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mitsubishi Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Just to clarify

you lose power when you are turning right only?

If so then I'd check if the power steering pump is free to turn?

If you pop the belt off and then turn the pump by hand it should turn quite freely with no real notchiness.

if it feels tight then the pump will need replacing and also replace the fluid

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No no I was not speaking about "turning right". I just want to say that my engine was turning well (I used right). But when I am driving on the highway around 2.500 /3.000 rpm I start to hear a noise (like a whistle) and then I loosing power. I just have changed all the belts, engine and other pump. When I am not driving, everything appear perfect. I can accelerate but I have this problem just when I am driving fast ... If you could help me to find the problem. I am rather that timing belts are in place rightly !
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Ok

thanks for clarifying

I'm assuming that this is the turbo diesel version so

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks i Will Check that and Côme back. Best regards !
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

no problem, just get back to me on this post