Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I havea 2007 208 and when cold the water reservoir is almost

Customer Question

I havea 2007 208 and when cold the water reservoir is almost emty and just about half full when hot Is this normal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had this problem a few months ago and kept topping up with water. The head gasket blew and I had a costly repair bill.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Peugeot Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'd say that you're a bit low on coolant

as you do ' gain' coolant with it all warm as the fluid expands with temperature and so fills the system a bit more

if you have to keep topping up then

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html