Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Turn the key but no warning lights come on the dashboard, it

Customer Question

turn the key but no warning lights come on the dashboard, it wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car was fine, next day came to start. It started ran for a minute then turned off. when the key is turned no lights Ie battery warring light, oil warning light or glow plug lights appear on the dashboard
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd like to if possible, on a limited budget. Can't drive it anywhere as its stuck on the drive
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: its a diesel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $11 after the Chrysler Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, first, I need to know the year, make, model and engine size of your vehicle

There are many possible causes ranging from loose battery cables, bad battery, ignition switch, starter. So the battery cables need to be checked for tight connection and no corrosion and rectified as needed. If ok, then battery should be tested with voltmeter for 12v and charged or replaced as needed. If ok, then you need to check for 12v on small wire to the starter solenoid on the starter while someone turns the key to crank. If 12v present, replace starter. If not, then we will need to test the ignition switch