Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

1990 500SL (119 engine) 68000 miles from new. After 2 months

Customer Question

1990 500SL (119 engine) 68000 miles from new. After 2 months winter storage the idle is now 2000 plus rpm and unstable. Turns over many times before starting. Running fine before winter storage in a dry but unheated garage.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a self employed car bodywork repairer and have a reasonable knowledge base but not specialist knowledge on this cars systems
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: removing distributer caps to check for moisture some found in right hand bank dried but no improvement
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: it has been in my ownership for 10 years plus. It is used in the summer for fun and is in exceptional condition i do all maintenance myself but it only does about 1500 to 2000 miles a year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi Chris, my name is***** is an overvoltage protection relay located in the module compartment at the right rear of the engine room. Check the fuse in the top of the relay and see if it is blown. I've attached a picture of the relay location below. It's sort of hiding behind the tall relay in the picture.

Let me know what you find.

Marty