Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Where is located Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor on

Customer Question

Where is located Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor on my ford mondeo 2003 2,0 tdci.
Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hi im kevin is it coolant temp or cylinder head temp sensor your after?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is it coolant temp. I know where is head temp sensor.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Cant find a listing il opt out another tech may have this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear, do you have answer for me?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

there is no coolant temperature sensor on either the 2.0 ltr TDCi or the Tdi engine ?

Both just use the cylinder head temperature sensor

now if it was a 2.0 ltr petrol then this has an ECT sensor located on the end of the engine just by the top hose exit point

can I ask why you want to replace the coolant sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear, thank you for your answer, but I am not sure that you have right.Temperature gauge is on null even if I drive car long time. I change Thermostat and also cylinder head temperature sensor.also find on internet next info:The ECT sensor is screwed directly into the coolant outlet connector and measures the temperature of the engine coolant rather than the cylinder head temperature. The information is used by the instrument cluster for the temperature gauge indication. It is also used by the PCM to calculate fuel injection timing and period of injection which will vary dependant on the engine temperature.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

OK I think your internet finding is for the petrol engine version

I've attached and image to show this sensor in this location

I suspect that there may be a break in the wire between the cylinder head temp sensor and the ECU

so I'd suggest to next do a continuity check between these two parts

I've also attached a ECU pinout to assist with this

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
dear, thank you, ***** ***** try with it, but my internet finding is for diesel engine, please see attach
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

I understand that but all my data for the TDCi engine shows it has no coolant temp sensor , just the cylinder head temperature sensor

I note that your listing doesn't show an cylinder head sensor? is it possible its referring to the cyinder head sensor as the coolant sensor?

if you can confirm the engine number/ code for me we can determine what engine you have

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you,engine NO: 2b35148
car NO : WF0WXXGBBW2B35148
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

OK

thats a 2.0 ltr duratorq FMBA 130 PS engine

this has a cylinder head temperature sensor but no coolant temp sensor

so I'd suggest the next step is to measure the voltage at the back of the ECU socket according to that Pinout I supplied earlier to ensure its reading the CHT correctly

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you