Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

I replaced my engine (MDS)with one from a 300C also MDS, I

Customer Question

hi,
I replaced my engine (MDS)with one from a 300C also MDS,
I wont start, smokes allot and now and than fires a cylinder
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

What year is the vehicle that the donor engine come out of?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

teh year I dont know, but it has the mds solenoids, and no VVT, so it must be between 03 and 09.

I replaced every sensor with the ones that came with my truck, same goes for the intake and injectors.

I did not connect the exhaust yet, and it is smoking very heavy, as if the injectors are all wide open.

I checked the injectors and not one is leaking under pressure.

My scanner comes up with, 'multiple missfires'

I cranked it today with WOT to clean out the chambers, and there was no fuel injected doing that, so thats OK.

Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Hi MDS didn't come out until late 2005 on cars and 2006 on trucks. So the engine would be at least a 2005. I looked up the timing set and the crankshaft (this is where the tone wheels are) and the part numbers between the truck and car engines are the same for 2007. At this time we need to know exactly what year this engine came out of. Is there any way that you can research and find out? If you can find a VIN number stamped on the engine anywhere, post it here and I can research it for you..

Does your scanner come up with any other codes than the multiple misfire codes? Can you post all the codes that are coming up? This may help...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I pulled the (new) plugs today and they weren t giving any spark and completely fould with tar. I think the guy I bought the engine from put some oil in the cambers for conservation, anyway, cleaned the plugs and and the cambers with some alcohol and it finally came to life.

Drove it for 5 min and now a P0706 comes up, *Transmission Range Sensor.... , and all gears are lit on the dash.... any ideas?

Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Cool, Glad you got it going...

on the po706, check the transmission connector, try disconnecting it, and inspecting all the pins. If all are ok, reconnect the connector securely, clear codes and retest. If it comes back you will need to run the diagnostic procedure...

let me know if you need the flowchart for P0706

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...