sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Nissan Micra SX and the power steering has

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 Nissan Micra SX and the power steering has failed completely - the PS light is on
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Nissan Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The steering has failed completely. I am not sure if it is the pump, or an electrical problem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it depends on how complex the issue is
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: no, she's in very good working order
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: othe rthan that!
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - to add to the question; I want to define in particular if it's an electrical fault or the pump as the cost difference between the two is huge. Also if it is a pump, I'd need one that is (a) under a good EU warranty and (b) is programmable. This is based on the assumption that it is a hydraulic system rather than electrical - any information on what the Nissan definition of "electrically assisted power steering" is would be welcome! Thank you
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your vehicle has an electric power steering system rather than a hydraulic system with a pump. The power steering control module watches the steering angle sensor and controls an electric motor on the steering column to provide assist.

The warning light has come on because the module has seen an issue that will prevent proper operation. The problem could be the steering angle sensor, the module or wiring, but is most likely a failed motor on the steering column.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set in the power steering module, and then testing can be done from there as necessary.