Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

From the UK: I have a P0328 code (Knock Sensor 1 Circuit gh

Customer Question

From the UK: I have a P0328 code (Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).
I don't hear any engine knock, and it mostly just comes on when the engine is cold and I’m hardly revving, not when engine is warm. It first started happening when I had the clutch changed and an oil change (both gear box and engine oil change). I have tried a number of things including replacing the knock sensor. The new knock sensor was the same part number but was even worse, so I put the old one back in. I have a late 2003 Mazda 323F 1.6l (ZM engine), BJ, basically the European version of the Mazda Protege or Protege5 from what I know (according to the ProtegeFAQ website). The VIN is not always recognised: JMZBJ14M201533372
I think my knock sensor is a single wire (wide band) one, because the connector only has one pin. I have done the ratchet test and it does generate AC voltage on my multimeter when hit (both the old and new one I bought), so the sensor itself seems to be working. When I disconnect the sensor is I also get the same P0328 code which confirms to me that it may not be due to genuine engine knock, which I don’t think I can hear anyway. I am able to read and delete codes with my Torque app on my phone.
What I need is the Mazda diagnostic steps for this code for this kind of knock sensor (e.g. resistance specs etc...), and some help! The Mazda 3 or Mazda 2002 Protege manuals I can see online only talk about the 2 wire sensor (resonant type?) which is not the kind I have I think.
Are you able to help?
Thanks, Henry.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I dont have the exact procedure for this model here but do have one for the code P0325 for the protege if this helps.Follow the procedure below as it should be very similar in locating the fault here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rfwuz6x0j2w6hy/k-03-02.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bb3s8gbyfwjpae/kn-03-02.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi,The P0325 code is for low input not high input. Also, the link you give is for the FS engine, but I have a ZM engine, and the Protege manual you refer to does not list a knock sensor for the 2002 Protege ZM engine.More importantly, as noted in my question, the knock sensor diagnostics you link to is a different knock sensor - it is a 2-wire sensor - but the kind I have is a single wire kind (wide band type I believe) so the diagnostics will be different.Really, I think the only person who can answer my question will be someone who either has access to workshop manual for the single wire / wide band kind of sensor I have, or has sufficient knowledge of my kind of sensor to know the proper tests / spec for it. For reference, the part number is:ZL0218921
but equivalent part numbers are:
EIT50471
V32720012Even though it is stock on Mazda 323F cars, it is a mitsubishi part, and also is used on a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 4, 5 6 (Engine code CN9a or CP9A).Anybody able to help?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this myself here but someone else may have more info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete