Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a VW LT35 with a noisy engine, it starts ok runs well

Customer Question

Hi there i have a VW LT35 with a noisy engine, it starts ok runs well when standing at all engine rev speeds. But when you want to drive off and the engine is under load it rattles really bad i drove it back to my place from Norwich which is 100 miles.
Have you any idea's ?
Regards
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The rattle noise can be caused by a lean running engine with a lack of fuel or an issue with a restriction in the exhaust system.Both of these will cause this issue here.

I would have the fuel system tested to see if any components are found needing replaced or repaired like fuel pump issues.fuel filter or fuel injectors at fault as these are most common.

If the fuel system is found to be o.k. then the exhaust system needs checked/tested to locate if a component is found to be at fault with a restriction needing replaced.I have seen catalytic converter failure as well as other restricted exhaust components cause this needing replaced.

All of these need checked into to locate which is the cause here then from there repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete thanks for reply i will have a look at these issues although i have learnt that it had a cambelt replacement (whether though it broke or it was replace on a service?)
The van pulls well so i do not think it is fuel issues, it just sounds as if the engine is going to go bang! at any point when you accelerate. could the timing be out and if so would it make that sort off noise.CheersPete
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

If this issue occurred after the cam belt was replaced it is very possible that it wasnt installed correctly or one of the guides or tensioner has failed for the cam belt and caused it to throw the engine out of time and this will definitely cause this issue here.I would have the timing/cam belt checked for any issues and any issues found will need repaired to correct this here.I would start with having this done and if found o.k. then check the above that I had posted.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi there i will get back to you after i go to the vehicle on Sunday then i will rate your serviceCheersPete
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete