Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My name is ***** *****. I recently bought a 1.6 Diesel Focus

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I recently bought a 1.6 Diesel Focus automatic with 80,000 miles, which quickly deteriorated. Replaced Fuel pump, boost sensor, EGR valve, and mass air flow sensor. A new problem has arisen - at low speed, low RPM and low throttle setting the engine "hunts" regularly about 100 rpm, sometimes causing a dip in power on pressing the throttle from standstill, and slow acceleration to about 10 mph. Once above about 2000 rpm under load the car performs really well. fuel economy is excellent but there is sometimes a puff of black smoke at low speed. Cold starting is also a problem, but I think that is just heater plugs. Rgards ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Focus C-Max Ghia Reg YB 04 CNX. Nothing more to add
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the fuel injectors tested at all this should be done.If one or more fuel injectors are found to be at fault this can cause this type of fault here and the affected fuel injector usually needs replaced.This will cause rpm surge,hesitation and black smoke.

I would have the glow plugs tested as well to see if one or more are at fault needing replaced as this can cause the hard cold starting issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete