Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Silva - my name is ***** ***** - my engine just keeps dying

Customer Question

Hi Silva - my name is ***** ***** - my engine just keeps dying on my 2002 Laguna 2.0L Dynamique IDE - engine still running when this happens but all dash lights come on and no power - I've changed both pressure relief valve and Sensor but not helped (although this did work for a very short time. The car has now been stuck on the road for months. Charged the battery today and got it started but fault recurred. However, if I kept my foot on accelerator very slightly keeping revs at around 1k it didn't happen. Will need to do this for a longer period to make sure. The idle speed is set by ICU so could it be this that is at fault?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What specifically do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Renault Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have enough information?
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response. You are correct the ICU does control the idle, when failing the symptoms that you are having occur. The next step would be to have the icu tested.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Mike. Yes I already knew that ty. I have already spent k's keeping this car on the road and I won't be going to the expense of having the car transported to the garage and paying out yet more money to get the ICU tested. I'm not throwing good money after bad replacing the ICU - what else could I try before I scrap the car?

You can disconnect the negative and battery cable ends and remove them, touch and hold the two ends together for 2 minutes, this will sometimes perform a hard reset and might help.